Last modified June 8, 2021
I. Information We Collect
We collect information from You when You use the Website, contact or interact with us, sign up for our newsletter or other mailing list, sign up for an account with us, make a donation, submit a research project, create a page and voluntarily provide us with Your comments and other content in connection with using the Website.
As part of your access and use the Website, we may collect: Your name, contact information including email address, telephone number, address, amounts contributed to the ABF, information resulting from donor surveys and any other information you voluntarily provide on the Website.
When You contact us, we may collect: Your name, contact information including email address, telephone number, and any other information that You voluntarily provide to us.
When You sign up for an account with us, we may collect: your name, address , email address, password, avatar image, bio, company location, website URL, Twitter URL, Facebook URL, and Google URL.
When You made a donation on the Website, we may collect: your name, address, email address, password, avatar image, bio, company location, website URL, Twitter URL, Facebook URL, Google URL, donation amount, and any other information you voluntarily provide.
When You submit a research project through the Website, we may collect any information that you voluntarily provide in connection with your project, including your name, institution, contact information, project title, disease focus, project description, project budget, curriculum vitae, and any other information that you provide on the letter of intent or application, or through the GIFTS Online portal.
When You create a page or otherwise post content on the Website, we may collect: any information you provide to us.
When You access and use the Website, we automatically collect information regarding You and Your device, including Your device’s Internet Protocol address, the domain name of Your Internet service provider, your location, Your mobile device information (e.g. device model and operating system version), your page visits, your social sharing activity, and aggregated information that cannot be used to specifically identify You. Additional information collected is described in the Analytics and Cookies sections below.
We may collect information about You from third party sources. The Website provides connections with Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and YouTube. If You connect with these websites through the Website, We may receive personal information about You.
II. How We Use Your Information
We use the information that We collect for several purposes, including:
- The purposes for which You provided it;
- To provide information and services to You;
- To process and respond to Your inquiries and comments;
- To report contributions for tax purposes;
- To send you information about your contributions to us;
- To send You information about Your relationship with us or about new projects or other information that we think you may find interesting;
- To contact you for market research purposes and to use this information to customize the Website according to your interests;
- To administer, operate, and improve the Website or to further the mission of the ABF;
- To personalize and enhance Your experience using the Website;
- To send periodic emails. If you choose, the email address You provide may be used to send You occasional news, updates, related product or service information, etc. Note: If at any time You would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, We include detailed unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of each email;
- To generate and review reports and data about our user base and Website usage patterns;
- To analyze the accuracy, effectiveness, usability or popularity of the Website;
- To compile aggregate data for internal and external business purposes;
- To prevent fraud and abuse of the Website and to otherwise protect users and visitors and our business;
- To assist law enforcement and respond to subpoenas; and
III. How Your Information is Disclosed
- We use Blackbaud Merchant Services to collect and process donations made on the Website and as part of such processing, it will collect your credit card information and contact information.
- We use Raiser’s Edge, a cloud-based fundraising and relationship management solution from Blackbaud, to help us streamline and track our fundraising efforts, and your contact information and all information that you provide in connection with a donation may be shared with Raiser’s Edge/Blackbaud.
- We use AddThis for social sharing services on the Website. AddThis may collect Your Internet Protocol address, Mobile Ad ID (MAID), browser type, browser language, type of operating system, the date and time You visited the Website, Your behavior on the Website, such as how long You visited the Website, the web search You used to locate and navigate to the Website, information regarding how often You use the AddThis tools, and geo-location data derived from Your Internet Protocol address. To add a cookie to opt-out of collection of personal information by AddThis, please see the AddThis website at https://datacloudoptout.oracle.com/. You may also opt-out through the DAA opt-out program (currently available at https://optout.aboutads.info/) or the NAI opt out program (currently available at https://optout.networkadvertising.org).
B. Business Changes. If We become involved in a merger, acquisition, sale of assets, joint venture, securities offering, bankruptcy, reorganization, liquidation, dissolution, or other transaction or if the ownership of all or substantially all of our business otherwise changes, We may transfer Your information to a third party or parties in connection therewith.
D. Investigations and Law. We may disclose information about You to third parties if We believe that such disclosure is necessary to:
- Comply with the law or guidance and cooperate with government or law enforcement officials or private parties;
- Investigate, prevent or take action regarding suspected illegal activities, suspected fraud, the rights, reputation, safety, and property of us, users or others, or violations of our policies or other agreements with us;
- Respond to claims and legal process (for example, subpoenas); and/or
- Protect against legal liability.
E. Aggregated Information. We may share aggregated information relating to users of the Website with affiliated or unaffiliated third parties. This aggregated information does not contain personal information about any user.
G. Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
Cookies are small files that are transferred to and stored on Your computer through Your Web browser (if You allow it) that enable the website’s or service provider’s system to recognize Your browser and capture and remember certain information. You can instruct Your browser to stop accepting cookies. But if You do not accept cookies, You may not be able to use all portions of all functionality of the Website.
- Persistent cookies remain on the visitor’s computer after the browser has been closed.
- Session cookies exist only during a visitor’s online session and disappear from the visitor’s computer when they close the browser software.
Web beacons are small strings of code that provide a method for delivering a graphic image on a Web page or in an email message for the purpose of transferring data. You can disable the ability of Web beacons to capture information by blocking cookies.
We implement a variety of security measures to protect the safety of Your personal information when You enter, submit, or access Your personal information. Security measures include SSL encryption for sensitive PII that requires greater protection as determined based on security, compliance, and regulatory standards and market research. Intrusion detection and intrusion prevention functions are also in place, in addition to firewall systems to provide visibility into network activities in which case violations and anomalies are reported as alerts for immediate action.
While We take reasonable measures to protect the information You submit via the Website against loss, theft and unauthorized use, disclosure, or modification, We cannot guarantee its absolute security. No Internet, email, or mobile application transmission is ever fully secure or error free. Email or other messages sent through the Website may not be secure. You should use caution whenever submitting information through the Website and take special care in deciding with which information You provide us.
Any information collected through the Website is stored and processed in the United States. If you use our Website outside of the United States, you consent to have your data transferred to the United States.
V. Data Retention Policy, Managing Your Information
We will retain Your information for as long as You use the Website and for a reasonable time thereafter. We may maintain anonymized or aggregated data, including usage data, for analytics purposes. We may retain and use Your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and document our donations, and/or for the period required by laws in applicable jurisdictions. Please note that some or all of the information We have collected may be required for the Website to function properly.
VI. Links to Other Websites or Applications
VII. Your Choices Regarding Your Information
You have choices regarding the use of information by the Website.
- Changing Your Information – To change Your information, please contact us at [email protected].
- Closing Your Account – If the email account associated with Your email address is not active, We may remove it from our system without notice.
VIII. Information Collected From Other Websites and Mobile Applications and Do Not Track Policy
Your browser or device may offer You a “Do Not Track” option, which allows You to signal to operators of websites, web applications, mobile applications and services (including behavioral advertising services) that You do not wish such operators to track certain of Your online activities over time and/or across different websites or applications. Our Website does not support Do Not Track requests at this time, which means that We or our analytics providers or other third parties with which We are working may collect information about Your online activity both during and after Your use of the Website.
We do not knowingly collect personal information from an individual under age 13. If You are under the age of 13, please do not submit any personal information through the Website. If You have reason to believe that We may have accidentally received personal information from an individual under age 13, please contact us immediately at [email protected].
XI. How to Contact Us
XII. Your California Privacy Rights
Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code permits California residents to request from a business, with whom the California resident has an established business relationship, certain information about the types of personal information the business has shared with third parties for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes and the names and addresses of the third parties with whom the business has shared such information during the immediately preceding calendar year. You may make one request each year by emailing us at [email protected] or writing us at the American Brain Foundation, 201 Chicago Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55415.