Great People. Great Mission. Great Benefits.
Driven to find a Cure.
With a bold vision of life without brain disease, the American Brain Foundation supports research to help diagnose, treat, and cure brain diseases and disorders that affect one in six people worldwide. Established in 1992 by the American Academy of Neurology (AAN), the world’s largest association of neurologists, the American Brain Foundation shares a headquarters with the AAN in downtown Minneapolis. The American Brain Foundation’s unique partnership with the AAN allows the Foundation to have access to the best and brightest minds to identify and support the most high-risk and high-reward neurologic research.
The AAN’s headquarters, built in 2012, is a beautiful, energy-efficient office in the vibrant Mill District, just steps from the light rail, major bus lines, great parking options, walking/biking paths, and countless dining and entertainment options.
The Director of Mission Advancement (DMA) provides strategic oversight and supervision to the American Brain Foundation’s (ABF) revenue generation from fundraising, as well as to its marketing and public outreach program. The DMA ensures that the ABF builds a team with the talent and expertise to achieve the organization’s fundraising goals. This includes specific priorities, metrics-drives goals and objectives, and commensurate tactics to achieve goals within defined timeframes. The DMA leads the leadership team’s planning and strategy efforts. The DMA is directly responsible for the ABF’s annual fund.
Develops comprehensive annual and multi-year plans and budgets in collaboration with ABF staff, integrating
- Annual Fund
- Major Giving
- Planned Giving
- Corporate and Foundation Grants
- Fundraising Events
- Marketing and Public Outreach
Management of Annual Fund
Executes annual fund campaigns with support of staff
- Multi-channel campaigns
- Sustaining donor program
- Mid-level donor program
- Digital giving strategies
- Donor stewardship
- Donor pipeline strategies
- Annual Fund Budget management
- Annual Fund metrics reporting
Marketing and Public Outreach
- Direct staff and digital strategy consultant in efforts to grow public awareness of the foundation
- Protect the foundation’s brand and assure high standards for ABF communications
- Direct key foundation stakeholders (including external partners like digital and design consultants) to determine and deliver content based on foundation’s key messages, activities, and partnerships
- Oversee digital communications team (including social media, web site, email including reporting on each channel)
- Oversee print collateral design and production
- Marketing and Public Outreach budget management
- Marketing and Public Outreach metrics reporting
Data Analytics and Management
- Regularly review database tools and associated contracts
- Through supervision of data staff
- Maximize use of fundraising database
- Track prospect, donor, and gift information appropriately
- Maintain high quality constituent data in donor database
- Provide timely donor stewardship and communications
- Establish a prospect pipeline to feed the Moves Management process for annual upgrade prospects
- Position is responsible for direct employee supervision which includes the selection, training, performance management, compensation administration, and termination of employees
- Position is responsible for setting strategy for departments and/or divisions
Additional Responsibilities, if needed:
- DMA also oversees the relationships with external vendors including database company, digital consultant, design consultant, printer and mail house.
This job description may not cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, activities, and responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Bachelor’s Degree in nonprofit management, fundraising, marketing or related area of study is required
- Master’s Degree in nonprofit management, fundraising, marketing or related area of study is preferred
- CFRE certification is preferred
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in fundraising, including annual funds, major gifts, planned giving, foundation and corporate grants/sponsorships, crowdfunding, and other digital fundraising is required
- Experience with data analytics and database management is required
- Supervisory experience is required
- Experience working in a small, start-up nonprofit is preferred
- Experience running crowdfunding campaigns is preferred
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required
- Proficiency in strategic marketing and public relations is required
- Demonstrated experience in budget management is required
- Proven ability to integrate marketing initiatives into fundraising products and activities is required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite is required
- Experience with Raisers Edge, Luminate and SharePoint is preferred
ADDITIONAL POSITION INFORMATION:
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Travel Requirements: Occasional travel required – approximately 5%. Ability to legally travel outside of the United States, particularly but not limited to Canada.
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Schedule: Occasional evening and weekend required
Physical Requirements: Standard office setting, with ability to sit for long periods of time, occasional use of stairs; regular use of computer and office equipment, lifting up to 10 lbs. The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If our great people, great mission, and great location weren’t enough, we offer great benefits that work as hard for you as you do for us.
- Twenty-two days of paid personal time off (PTO) in the first year
- Twelve paid holidays per year in addition to PTO
- Company contribution equal to 10.5 percent of salary to AAN employee 401K retirement savings account
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance (free employee coverage)
- Life and AD&D insurance—premiums covered 100 percent by the AAN
- Long-term disability insurance fully funded—covered 100 percent by the AAN
- Short-term disability insurance fully funded—covered 100 percent by the AAN
- ID theft protection
- Travel insurance
- Flexible spending plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Parking subsidy
- Dry cleaning (free pickup and delivery)
- Wellness offerings (mindfulness courses, yoga classes, walking/running club)
- On-site workout facility
The American Brain Foundation and the American Academy of Neurology are equal opportunity employers.
Apply through the American Academy of Neurology’s Employment Opportunities Portal.